There is an PDF that you can download with all the words that we are going through in this episode. All existing and future additional resources (downloadable PDFs, etc.) you can find here. Download it ideally before listening!
In this episode of the Better German podcast, host Susi Blümel discusses key terms related to learning German. She emphasizes the importance of finding a German course that is taught in a language the learner understands, or at the very least, in English. Susi provides translations and example sentences for words such as “Kurs” (course), “Deutsch” (German), “Anfänger” (beginner), “Fortgeschritten” (advanced), and “Einstufungstest” (placement exam). She also discusses the concept of a curriculum or “Lehrplan” and the practical approach to teaching grammar. Susi encourages learners to focus on words and practical usage rather than overwhelming themselves with theoretical rules. Listeners can find more information and additional materials related to this episode on the podcast’s website.
These are some of the terms that we will cover, all of them including an example, but some of them with considerable more information.
Primary topic: Key terms about learning German
– German “Kurs”
– Deutsch (German)
– Anfänger (beginner)
– Fortgeschritten (advanced)
– A1 (beginner course)
– Schule (school)
– lernen (to learn)
– Lehrplan (curriculum)
– wiederholen (to repeat)
– Einstufungstest (placement exam)
– vorstellen (to introduce yourself)
– sich vorstellen (introduce yourself)
– Grammatik (grammar)
– lesen (to read)
– basic parts of speech (kinds of words)
Language Learning: “Just learning words will never give you the ability to speak very well.”
German Articles: “An article is his little word in front of the noun, it always goes with the noun, that shows you, are you talking about a specific one or any one of that thing.”
Mentioned Podcast Episodes
1. Episode “Introduction to articles”. This is scheduled to be released on the 21st of Sept 23. It will be episode 5 and it will be available at: bettergerman.info/5
2. “Guide to German Exams” is scheduled for the 7th of December 23. It will give you an overview of the different levels of language courses and the corresponding exams. At this point it is planned to be episode 13, so then the link will be bettergerman.info/13